In 2020, transaction volumes fell 20% year-on-year with Q420 volumes remaining flat year-on-year. Volumes were resilient in China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan, where economic recovery was stronger and there are deep pools of domestic capital.
We expect Asia Pacific direct real estate transactions to rise by 15-20% in 2021. Read our latest Capital Tracker to get our insights on the previous quarter and our predictions for the year ahead.
- Continued investor appetite in resilient assets such as Logistics, Multifamily and Data Centres.
- Further yield compressions for high yield, low growth assets.
- Expect portfolios to be repositioned for greater diversification, more opportunistic and value-add strategies
- Asset allocation shifts are structural and not cyclical - logistics and multifamily assets will become a core part of portfolios
- India REITs provide a secure path for greater institutional investments in India.
"We are confident that Asia Pacific transaction volumes will rebound in 2021 as most investors still have capital to deploy and need to reposition their portfolios." - Regina Lim, Head of Capital Markets Research, Asia Pacific.